The National Account Director is responsible for developing business for the Walter E. Washington Convention Center and metropolitan area as a convention destination with specific reference to groups that are key to the city.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (include the following, but are not limited to)
1. Generate bookings for meetings and conventions according to the priorities outlined in the marketing plan or more specifically meet certain market segment factors.
2. Coordinate and participate in local promotional events and industry trade shows with a goal towards developing Washington, DC business interests.
3. Produce sales leads for destination's hotel partners.
4. Follow up on lead sources via inquiry, trade shows and trade publications.
5. Convert leads into confirmed business; prepare proposals including quoted costs from the Washington Convention Center as well as executing and overseeing client site inspections.
6. Compile complete convention packages inclusive of all entities needed to successfully present the destination.
7. Assist the direct sales effort by attending sales missions, meetings, trade shows and other industry-related functions.
8. Ability to lead sales presentations to clients, boards and site selection committees.
9. Maintain good product knowledge of the destination including the general area, convention center, hotels and services.
10. Maintain awareness of industry trends and competing cities (i.e. through trade journals, industry participation and travel)
11. Manage client relationships to ensure adequate account servicing.
12. Manage hotel relationships to ensure seamless customer experience.
13. Manage budget respective to individual travel, networking, entertainment and co-ops.
14. Execute all other duties as assigned by the Director of Convention Sales and Vice-President of Convention Sales & Services.
Experience, Competencies & Education
1. Minimum four to five (4 - 5) years sales management experience in related field, preferably convention bureau, facility or convention hotel sales and convention services
2. Bachelor's Degree (B.S./B.A.) from four-year college or university in management, sales, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
3. Ability to read, analyze, articulate and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals and technical procedures.
4. Excellent communication skills.
5. Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
6. Willingness to work evenings and weekends; willingness to travel
7. Extensive knowledge of and enthusiasm for city and facilities
8. Technical proficiency with Microsoft Office and destination management software systems required.
Accountabilities & Measures
1. Annual Room Night Goals (subject to determination by the Director of Convention Sales and Vice-President of Convention Sales and Services).
2. Annual Leads generated varies by target market (subject to determination by the Director of Convention Sales and Vice-President of Convention Sales and Services).
3. Annual Sales Call and Trip Goals (subject to determination by the Director of Convention Sales and the Vice-President of Convention Sales and Services).
4. Periodic performance evaluations gauging quantitative and qualitative performance against identified goals.
Additional Salary Information: Flexible work environment and excellent benefits.
About Destination DC
Destination DC is a private, non-profit corporation with a membership of 875+ businesses and organizations that support the DC travel and tourism sector. A contracting arm of Events DC, the organization is funded by a percentage of DC’s hotel occupancy tax, along with membership dues and co-operative marketing fees.Formerly known as the Washington, DC Convention & Tourism Corporation (WCTC), the organization was renamed in 2008 to reflect the organization’s increased emphasis on the city’s unique assets. WCTC was established by business and community leaders in April 2001 by merging the Washington, DC Convention and Visitors Association and the DC Committee to Promote Washington. The Washington, DC Convention and Visitors Association was founded in 1931 to promote convention and leisure travel to the nation’s capital.Destination DC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.